It’s been a good few years since I last went to a festival. I’d love to tell you that I’m a light traveller but I’m really not. I like my home comforts even if I am roughing it for a few days. We’ve finally got our last few bits together and compiled a pretty extensive list of what to take to Download Festival. Although it’s only a three-day music festival, we’re going from Wednesday to Monday and the weather is changing its mind every day. If you’re going to bask in the great British weather in a tent this summer, I hope this list helps you out.
Download Festival Essentials
Some of these might sound like the obvious but it’s always good to have a reminder! It’s sod’s law that you’d get halfway there and forget your tickets but managed to bring five pairs of shoes. You don’t have to take cash but it will save you from the long queues to use an ATM every day. If you have a Monzo card or similar, you can keep track of spending easily and also block your card from the app if you misplace it.
- Festival ticket
- Money (Cash and a backup card)
- Tent and pegs (put it up before you go to check!)
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping/roll mat
- Camping chairs
- Car park pass (if you’re driving)
- Duct tape – lifesaver if anything rips, tears or there’s rain
- Waterproof jacket
- Portable phone charger and cables
- Pain killers
- Hayfever tablets
- Wet wipes/baby wipes
- Hand sanitizer
- Toilet roll
- Bin bags
Download Festival Clothing & Beauty
I love planning outfits for festivals and gigs so for me, these items are high on the agenda of what to take to Download Festival. Most people might think it’s slightly absurd but I honestly don’t care. I like to get dressed up when I go on a night out and a festival is no different.
- Any planned outfits
- Underwear and socks
- Spare t-shirts in case of downpours
- Wellies/walking boots – even if it’s not raining, they’re good to have
- Flip-flops – for those early morning toilet trips
- Contact lenses/glasses
- Base make-up (nothing expensive)
- An eyeshadow palette with a decent collection of colours
- Make-up remover
- Baby wipes
- Shampoo, conditioner & body wash (if you have shower access)
- Dry shampoo
- Hair ties
- Hoody and leggings for cold nights
- Small backpack or bumbag
- Toothbrush and paste
Download Festival Food & Drink
Festivals can be expensive if you’re eating out for three meals a day. We’re not planning on taking any full-on tins and meals with us as they’re too heavy. However, something for brekkie and noodles and pasta pots will help our band t-shirt and beer funds. I am also a serial snacker; I can’t go a few hours without eating something. We’ve decided to take a few bits with us to take into the arenas with us. We have a little stove which I know is a bit of a luxury but it’s easy to just boil up some water for these. Coffee, when I’m feeling a little worse for wear, won’t go amiss either!
- Dried noodles/pasta
- Porridge pots
- Energy drinks
- Cereal bars
- Half gallon water bottle for refilling
- Alcohol – no glass!
- UHT milk if you’re planning on hot drinks
Download Festival Extras
Wondering what to take to Download Festival for some home comforts? These are our extras that we’ll be taking. Again, these might be excessive to some but we have made the decision on these and I personally, could not be happier.
- Camping stove and lighter – solid fuel.
- Shower passes – nothing like a shower to wash away a hangover.
- Airbed and foot pump
- Berocca/Dioralyte to get those hangovers over and done with
- Towel – even if you’re not showering, useful if you get soaked or need a pillow
- Solar-powered phone charger (see above for the one we bought)
- She-wee – for when the toilet queues are just too long!
- Carabiner clips
Some might see some of the items as a little excessive but I’m 28 and I like what I like. With only a few days to go, I seriously cannot wait to just get there now! We have started packing and are heading there this Wednesday. Do you think I’ve missed anything out of my what to take to Download Festival list?